Last Updated: 08/30/2011 09:54:00 AM
BoltTalks Podcast Concept
So I have this idea for a technology podcast, which I will be putting into action shortly. I like podcasts, I listen to loads of them. One of my favorites is http://www.writingexcuses.com/ their tag line is "15 minutes long: Because you are in a hurry & we are not that smart." The show is short and to the point. I can listen to an entire show on the way to the grocery store. I also enjoy http://cfhour.com/ and "Two Devs Down Under" http://www.2ddu.com/ . They are excellent forums for giving out information on a wide variety of topics and the hosts are experts in their fields.
After attending the lightning talks at cf.objective in 2011, I realized that so many people have a story to tell and they can tell it well! So why not give them a forum to do so? I put the idea out on "the twitters" and it seemed to get an excellent response.
So here is a BoltTalk in a nutshell:
- The show will consist of one interview on one topic.
- The interview can be a conversation with one person or multiple people at the same time.
- The scope of the topic should be fairly narrow. I would rather discuss one point very well, than to discuss several points poorly.
- The interview should be able to stand alone, without having to refer to other interviews.
- The interview should not go over 15 minutes. 7-10 minutes would be ideal.
- You don't need to be an expert on a topic or even trying to teach the audience. If you like, you can just share your experience and challenges in doing a certain thing. If you wish to rant on one particular topic for 15 minutes, I am down with that too
- If the idea of being "interviewed" scares you, think of it more as chatting with a friendly peer for a few minutes about something you care about. You can do that! I know you can. I heard you at the conference lobby bar, talking with your friends over beers. Just do that, only let me record it (beer optional.)
To submit a BoltTalk:
Email me on my gmail account with the topic discription.
- I will contact you about the idea and work out an outline.
- We will arrange a time to do
Skype Calla Google Hangout (you will need a microphone.)
- At the arranged time we will chat for a few minutes, while recording.
- You will be famous (or at least infamous!)
If you have a topic that you would like to hear, please email those to me as well. If you want to nominate a person (or persons) to do a BoltTalk, send me their info (any blackmail information to persuade them to do it, wouldn't go amiss.)
The podcast will be available via www.bolttalks.com, RSS Feed & also could be aired on http://codebassradio.net. There will be no set schedule to release the interviews. They will happen, when they happen. But hopefully this interchange of ideas in the community will make us wiser.