Last Updated: 10/12/2011 01:54:00 PM
Why you should drink the Github Kool-Aid
At Adobe Max 2011, Scott Stroz & Dave Ferguson asked to have me on their show CFHour, to speak about GitHub. Scott said that while he loves Git specifically, he hasn't drank the Kool-Aid on why GitHub is the best thing since a Vulcan Jedi Ninja. I am not sure why they asked me to be the person to speak on the topic. I don’t proclaim to be a Git or GitHub expert. I am a vocal advocate about the two, so maybe that is enough.
Below I list the reasons why I think GitHub is the mutt’s nuts. What would you add? What would change?
Github Rocks List
- Developer centric, developer friendly
- Like a social network for code.
- Every user/project has profile
- Public activity feeds (think status update)
- Provides a connection between hosted projects and the forks of them
- Better than resume
- Ease of Forking and Pull requests.
- No Ads
- Navigating through source is fast and simple (without downloading the whole project)
- Free for open source projects
- Best 404 page EVER!